About HIL Applied Medical:
HIL, a Hebrew University spinout, is developing a new class of compact, high-performance particle
accelerators and ancillary technologies for cancer proton-beam radiotherapy.
We apply a patented laser-based, nanotech-enabled approach to particle acceleration; we are also
developing novel beamline concepts and advanced magnetics (charged particle optics); thus paving the
way for truly cost-effective single-room proton therapy systems.
Affordable single-room systems are key to widespread adoption of this important therapy, and an enabler of a $10BB market (US).
HIL Applied Medical is a privately held, VC-backed early stage medical device company. We are
headquartered in the Hi-Tech Park on the campus of the Hebrew University in Givat Ram, Jerusalem,
Description of the Position:
The particle beam team / project manager is responsible to lead the development of a beam transport
system that will deliver the charged particles from the accelerator to the patient/tumor. He/She is a handson, multidisciplinary scientist with a demonstrated background in beamlines for charged particles. Building on HIL’s existing in-house personnel and external collaborations, he/she lead a dedicated team of scientists and external collaborators that develop novel concepts of particle beam transport to correspond with the unique properties of laser-plasma particle accelerator. S/he works with a high level of autonomy, developing and executing workplans, designing experimental setups, proposing novel conceptual designs and working with external consultants & suppliers on implementation and manufacturing of the beam line. S/he is expected to be knowledgeable of the relevant scientific literature and to follow the progress of the scientific community in particle therapy.
• Overall leadership and management of all R&D activities related to particle beam transport.
• Developing and executing multi-year workplans and budgets;
• Hiring and personnel development for the team under his/her leadership;
• Work with third parties in industry and academia – e.g. CERN, Sigma-Phi, AML and others – to
design and manufacture prototype beamlines to meet HIL’s system requirements;
• Explore novel and exotic concepts in particle beam delivery with an emphasis on novel
• Lead the design and conduction of proof of concept experiments related to magnetic beam delivery
• Lead the purchase, installation and commissioning of necessary lab equipment;
• Provide leadership selecting core technologies for the company’s product under development –
Alpha, Pre-Beta, Beta and Commercial.
• Identify patentable subject matter within the company’s R&D output. Work with company’s IP
counsels to expand IP portfolio.
• Assist in grant-writing and investor presentations;
• Report directly to CTO / CEO / VP R&D. Work closely with leaders of the proton acceleration R&D
team, finance and operations. Perform managerial and other duties as necessary.
• MSc in physics, engineering, or an equivalent degree. PhD-level education is preferable.
• Minimum 3 years industry experience; or an equivalent background as a post-doc or similar
• Proven team-building and leading capabilities.
• Demonstrated expertise in charged particle optics and particle beamline design.
• Experience in proton beam line design – strong advantage.
• Experience in medical applications of proton radiotherapy – strong advantage.
• Experience partnering with external suppliers for the development of new processes and
technologies, as demonstrated with commercialized products – advantage.
• Hands on lab research experience in magnetics, cryogenics and/or superconductivity –
• A strong desire to work in a challenging, dynamic startup environment; be part of an international team;
live at the bleeding edge of technology – where the risks are big and the rewards are even bigger – for
the betterment of the human condition.
• Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills are required (English).
• Strong ability and desire to coach and train team members under his/her leadership.
• Must have a sense of ownership and a desire to drive a project from inception to full production.
• Scientific curiosity & creativity.
• Estimated 10-15%.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org